- How To Get Large Monsters
- Synthesising With Large Monsters
In Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince, you’ll want a well-balanced team of monsters to get through the game. Thanks to this, Large monsters might seem like more hassle than they’re worth – they take up two slots, after all. But what are the benefits of fielding a Large monster?
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince – 6 Best Early Monsters To Scout
The early hours of Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince aren’t hard – but picking your starting monster roster can be.
To begin with, all Large monsters have a trait that allows them to act multiple times per turn, which makes up for the fact they take up two party slots. Despite this coming with a slight stat decrease, this makes Large monsters well worth considering – but how exactly do you acquire them?
How To Get Large Monsters
There are a few different ways to acquire a Large monster in Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince.
Scouting Wild Monsters
It’s possible to encounter Large monsters in the wild. There are some stipulations to this, though:
- The ‘mini-boss’ enemies that appear in each world are Large, but they are also incredibly powerful and difficult to scout – they won’t even eat meat! You’ll have to level up a ton before you have a chance of recruiting these.
- Regular monsters have a very low chance of being Large when they spawn. It appears to be the case that you must also have beaten the local ‘big hitter’ monster for them to spawn.
Monsters vary a great deal in size normally, and some will appear very large in the field – not all really big monsters will be of the Large category, though.
Keep an eye out for the really massive ones, though, you can’t miss them.
Synthesising With Large Monsters
Once you have a few Large monsters, you’ll surely be wondering what happens when you fuse them through synthesis. We can confirm the following:
- Synthesising two Large monsters together will always result in a Large monster. This will be denoted by the L in the preview portrait of the resulting monster.
- Synthesising a Large monster with a Small monster will sometimes result in a Large monster. The preview portrait will still have an S denoting a Small monster, but there’s a chance it gets upgraded to Large during the synthesis process.
Some of the NPC synthesis opportunities you can encounter (there’s one per region) will be with Large monsters. Make sure you think hard about whether you want to potentially pass up an opportunity to get a rare Large monster by fusing it with a Small one.
Eventually, you can start encountering monster eggs in the overworld. These are rare and can contain rare monsters – they can also sometimes be Large.
While it’s not the best idea to rely on these eggs, make sure you grab them whenever you see them!
The Mole Hole
If you have The Mole Hole DLC for the game, you’ll unlock a very convenient place to scout monsters. The Mole Hole allows you to encounter any monster that you’ve had in your possession and at any size – this is by far the most reliable way to get a stock of Large monsters.
Monsters in the Mole Hole are a bit tougher to scout than normal, but with meat treats and patience, you should be able to find your desired monsters very easily.
Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince – How To Play Online
Want to pit your Dragon Quest Monsters: The Dark Prince critters against someone else’s? Here’s how.